Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ask and Ye Shall Receive by my Wife

John 2:1On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, 2and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine." 4"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."

5His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." 6Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. 7Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.

8Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet." They did so, 9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

11This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.

=================================

In this passage, Jesus and Mary were attending a wedding. During these times, weddings were week-long events to which the whole town might be invited. Hospitality was so important that running out of wine would be seen as a major embarrassment to the bride and bridegroom. When this occurred, Mary turned to Jesus for his assistance.

There are two things that stand out to me about this passage. First, I note Mary’s faith in Jesus. She saw a problem and trusted that he would be able to solve it. At this point, Jesus had not performed any miracles, so she probably didn’t know how he would solve it. She still had the faith that he could solve it and would solve it. This is a reminder to me to turn my problems over to the LORD.

Sometimes I feel like I have to save my prayers for really big things, like jobs or health. Is it ok to pray for things like lost keys or light traffic? I believe it is. We are instructed to pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17). Matthew 7:7 tells us to “Ask and it shall be given to you”. The LORD wants me to come to him with all of my problems and to trust him like Mary did. I understand that HE knows what’s best, and will answer my prayers according to his will, but I like knowing that I can always turn to HIM whenever I need him.

The second thing that stands out to me in this passage is Mary’s persistence. When she told Jesus about the lack of wine, he asked her why she was telling him and told her it was not his time yet. Mary was persistent, however. She turned to the servants and told them to follow Jesus’ instructions. Mary needed Jesus help and she did not give up until she got it. This reminds me of the parable of the persistent widow.

I have to remember that the LORD is always there for me to turn to when I need his direction. I can ask HIM for anything and trust that HE knows what’s best for me. I also have to be persistent in my prayers. I praise him for all that he is done for me.

  • Do you think its ok to ask GOD for everything, even the small things?
  • Is it easy for you to be persistent, or do you get discouraged if you don’t get an answer to your prayers right away?

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment