Friday, March 5, 2010

Bad stuff happens to "good" people.

Luke 13:1Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."
6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

8" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "


=============================================

I have wondered "why do bad things happen to people?" At one time I thought that tragedy and disease happened to people because they were bad. Then I feared GOD because I thought HE would punish me for my sins and reward me for being good.

There are scriptures that tell me about GOD's wrath punishing the stubborn while they are here on earth. When Zechariah, John's father, doubted he was made mute, yet when JESUS said a girl who was dead was asleep, people doubted and laughed at HIM and HE did not punish them. Well... HE did not punish them right on the spot. I got confused trying to make heads or tails out of GOD's actions.

Sometimes I make GOD a little too human. HE has a purpose for everything HE does. What I consider bad HE considers great. When I see something negative going on in my life, HE sees only positive. GOD can see the total picture of my life. HE knows just the right things to get my attention.

I read this message and it is about judging others instead of focusing on the work at hand. When something bad happens to a person I automatically jumped to conclusions that some sin brought this on the person. I even thought my own sins would bring on calamity, but after a while I saw this did not make sense.

My attempt to do good is actually fueled by an evil attempt to manipulate GOD into doing things for me.
  • When I try to manipulate GOD, I temporarily straighten up my act with no intention to continue.
  • When I try to manipulate GOD, my good behavior is short lived and I fall back into bad habits easy.
  • When I try to manipulate GOD, HE sees right through me and does not accept my actions.

So what should I do? Just sit here and let bad things happen to me? No. GOD tells me to go out and bear fruit. Wow, I thought this seemed harsh, but when I pondered the scripture it makes sense now.

GOD says bad things will happen here on earth, expect it. I have been a wimpy Christian too long thinking nothing bad should ever happen to me. GOD tells me in spite of the difficult time here on earth, I should never take my eyes off of HIM. I should not judge people because bad things happen to them.

  • Instead of looking at what happens to other people, I should permanently alter my life to focus on bringing people to CHRIST.
  • Instead of figuring out why something is wrong, focus on serving.
  • Instead of figuring out why people are in pain, bring a word of encouragement.
  • Instead of complaining about issues, praise GOD for eternal life.
  • Instead of complaining about circumstances, teach someone about GOD's grace and mercy.

"Toughen up" is a tough lesson for me to swallow. GOD says that I should not fear bad news but continue to put my trust in HIM. Bearing fruit, not manipulating GOD, is the best medicine for lifes difficulties.

  • Are you going through difficult times and blaming it on your own sin?
  • Do you believe that GOD uses our circumstances to bring other humans back to HIM?
  • Are you busy trying to understand "why" GOD is doing something?
  • Can you stop trying to understand "why" and focus on "what" you are supposed to be doing?
  • Are you judging yourself or other people in regards to their sin?
  • Are your words encouraging?

No comments:

Post a Comment