Friday, March 12, 2010

NEVER give up!

Luke 18:1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

4"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "

6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

================================

I can't count the days that I have felt like giving up. There are so many days that I don't think GOD is hearing me. I mean, doesn't HE see me struggling? Doesn't HE understand my pain?

I read this story and questioned GOD's methods. Why does HE have to take so long to do things? Why doesn't HE give me my way instantly? I had to stop and think about this for a while. A story came to mind.

When I was a kid I wanted a certain toy for Christmas. My parents who were struggling to make ends meet more than likely tried to cater to my desires. They bought me something similar to the toy I wanted. On Christmas day I opened their gift and cried because it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Now looking back on the ordeal, they got me exactly what I needed.

Why do I bring up this story? Because people are fickle in their wants and desires. Looking back to that Christmas as an adult makes me laugh. I don't need the toy that I cried over years ago, I need the understanding my parents gave me.

I see things differently now. GOD knows what is best for me and sometimes, like a child, I am asking for the exact toy that "I" want. The toy for you could be a mate of your choice or more money or some luxury item. I know for me I want many toys, the list goes on and on.

GOD is patient with me because HE has all the time in the world. HE sees me asking for things I don't need and HE just sits there watching over HIS poor helpless child. After I throw my tantrum HE still sits there watching over me. Then I finally wake up and begin to ask for things I need.

  • When I ask for things I really need, I am persistent.
  • When I ask for things I really need, I see what GOD wants me to have.
  • When I ask for things I really need, my prayers are real.
  • When I ask for things I really need, my spirit won't rest until I get it.
  • When I ask for things I really need, I find myself humble instead of demanding.
  • When I ask for things I really need, I don't give up.

GOD understands life better than any human. HE understands that I try to manipulate HIM to get my way and HE isn't going to cater to this. HE wants me to pray with fervor, determination and tenacity. This type of prayer separates the toys from the needs.

  • Are you "half way" praying for things?
  • Do you pray out of habit?
  • Is your spirit troubled by the thing you are praying for?
  • Do you feel like giving up?
  • Can you ask GOD to help you be persistent in your prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment