Monday, June 21, 2010

Are you walking "your" talk?

Romans 2:18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of infants, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24As it is written: "God's name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you."


 
=================================== 

It seems like the more I know about the Bible, the more I want to warn people about GOD and HIS ways. I read about the wrath and destruction GOD has done and I got nervous. In my zeal, I desired to tell people about their sins so they could "straighten themselves up."

 
In my preachy tone against others, I did not notice my own sins. It's real easy to see what someone else is doing wrong, but hard to look at myself as the problem.  
  • I may not curse anymore, but what about my "judgmental" conversation? 
  • I may teach about not stealing, but did I bring home even a "paper clip" from work? 
  • I may teach about not lying, but what have I said to "get ahead" in life? 

 
What I have noticed about life, especially now that I have children, is that people are constantly looking at what I do and comparing it to what I say.  
  • I tell people to "have faith", yet when trouble comes, I go cower in the corner.
  • I tell people to "trust in GOD", yet when I don't hear from HIM, I go with my own plans. 
  • I tell people to "have patience" yet when I drive, I have NO patience! 

GOD clearly states through Paul that if I am going to preach about HIM, I have to walk the "talk." It's real easy to point fingers at other people and difficult for me to look at myself and say "what a mess." 

 
As a corporate leader, it was difficult to show weakness of any sort. When someone asked, "How are things going?", I rolled "fine" off of my lips even though I was hurting or nervous inside. I learned this is not good. I have to be truthful with myself and others. 
  • GOD would prefer that I teach about the sin that's still in my life rather than trying to clean other people up.
  • GOD would prefer that I tell the truth rather than wearing a mask and pretending I am good.
  • GOD would prefer that I point people to HIM rather than trying to get credit here on earth while receiving "pats on my back."

To serve GOD I have to be genuine in my faith. I can't let my pride get in the way of serving GOD. Now when I teach a lesson, I prayerfully speak the truth and apply it to "my" life first.
  • Are you inconsistent in your walk?
  • Do you hold people to a different standard than you hold yourself?
  • When you complain about someone, do you do the same things to GOD?
  • Have you given people advice that you should take yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment