Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I don’t like (insert race) and I don’t like (insert spouse’s name)!

Colossians 3:  12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

============

This morning I sat in front of the keyboard trembling, knowing the message was clear but it is just something that has to be said. Racism and hatred are alive and well and you and I are the blame and the cure. Not only has the country divided, but the world has developed chasms between other humans that seem to be impossible to span.

Marriages are crumbling at a rapid rate while churches pick and choose who they serve. I have had so many discussions about marital issues over the past few weeks that are very disheartening meanwhile the news and other media continues to belch out racism. It’s funny how similar the problems are between marital issues and racism.
  • Races and spouses want their way.
  • Races and spouses blame others for the current issues in their lives.
  • Races and spouses don’t do the right things when it comes to reconciliation so issues perpetuate.
This problem seems to be huge! What am I supposed to do? GOD chose me to say this message and HE has made me holy and loves me dearly.
  • I must clothe myself with compassion – GOD’s compassion doesn’t see race or wrong.
  • I must clothe myself with kindness – GOD’s kindness goes above and beyond helping people who are easy to help.
  • I must clothe myself with humility – GOD’s humility understands that I am the only one I need to control, not my spouse or another race.
  • I must clothe myself with gentleness – GOD’s gentleness always seeks reconciliation.
  • I must clothe myself with patience – GOD’s patience overlooks the same issues with me for a lifetime and HE expects me to do the same for other humans.

Bearing with others and forgiving others isn’t easy. GOD certainly doesn’t care who wronged who first because I wronged HIM first and HE died in my place. Churches make expansion plans while families make vacation plans both trying to isolate themselves from the world. BUT GOD wants me to mix it up and treat people as HE would treat me, with love and unity.
  • Is your marriage crumbling?
  • Do you have strong relationships between all races?
  • What is it about your spouse or that race that bothers you?
  • Can you let GOD change you in a way that you serve others no matter if they are flat out wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment