Galatians 1: 10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Laughter was the reaction from the crowd the first time I used foul language. That soon became a habit. Enjoyment was the reaction of the crowd as I played games instead of going to class. That soon became a habit. Being known for our parties caused our phone to ring constantly. That soon became a habit.
Everyone was pleased with what I was doing, but was I doing the right things?
- I can always find a crowd of people who support my sin.
- When I start sinning it is difficult to stop because the crowd will cheer me on.
- If I seek human approval I will find it in the wrong places.
My fear was being labeled as being “boring.” I mean I didn’t want to become a hardened criminal but I certainly didn’t want to be labeled as a “Goody, goody” because they finish “last,” don’t they?
- GOD knows the world will hate me for trying to follow HIM.
- GOD knows I will be ridiculed for saying JESUS in public.
- GOD knows I will not be popular for taking a stand for HIS ways but has assured me HIS way is the only way.
The crowd would have me doing things that are not pleasing to GOD. It’s not like I don’t have enough sin of my own. The crowd doesn’t want me to stand for GOD but let people remain in their sin. The crowd says “Who are you to judge, everyone sins especially you.”
Yes, I sin and GOD forgives me daily. HE provides me with hope and has called me to give that same hope to others but they must “confess those sins” and “HE will be faithful and just to forgive those sins and cleanse all unrighteousness.”
Pleasing GOD sometimes means pleasing people but always points to HIM.
- Are you trying to follow the crowd?
- Are you hiding your relationship with JESUS because of your title or the crowd you hang with?
- Are you ashamed to let people know you follow GOD?
- Can you stop trying to please people and learn to follow GOD?