Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Do I really “have” to give?

2 Corinthians 9:Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

============

One dollar. What can anyone buy for a dollar? Yet this was my “offering” to my local church on a weekly basis. It’s not the dollar that’s the problem, it’s how much I earned that was the issue.  I was making a lot more than that dollar but my “lifestyle” had changed. I mean I wasn’t very extravagant and I had my needs.

  • I needed the new watch that would go with the suit I had just purchased or so I thought.
  • I needed some shoes to match the new suit I had just purchased or so I thought.
  • I needed a lavish vacation to fit in on the conversations at work or so I thought.

GOD doesn’t need my money but HE wants me to not love is so much that I don’t want to share it.  HE wants me to give and be excited that I am able to give. HE provides me with people who are generous and they show me great examples of excited giving.

  • GOD wants me to view my bills as the annoyance and my giving as excitement.
  • GOD wants me to sometimes do without in order for someone to have their needs met.
  • GOD wants me to surrender what I think is mine so HE can take care of me the way HE wants to.

At the end of my life the measure of success should not be my bank account rather it should be how much I have given. It actually is exciting to see someone receive a little relief from the debts that are sometimes hurled in our path. GOD loves when I am a part of helping someone.

  • Are you a cheerful giver?
  • Are you generous?
  • Do you know generous people or are you the only one giving?
  • Can you modify your thoughts on giving and remain cheerful?

No comments:

Post a Comment