Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Does the Bible say “Forgive AND Forget?”

2 Corinthians:Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. Another reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything.

10 Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake,
11 in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.

============


Way back in third grade I had a fight that I didn’t start. I remember. Also one time there was a bully who tried to beat me up. I remember. Oh yes I remember the hoods who robbed me and I remember the stuff “those” people did to me.  How can I “forget” what they did?

  • The longer I hold on to past issues the harder it is to forgive.
  • The more I replay the malefaction in my mind the harder it is to forgive.
  • The more comfortable I feel being a victim the harder it is to forgive.

I asked myself “where in the world the Bible says to “forget” the sin someone has committed towards me” and I honestly couldn’t find it. The Bible does tell me over and over to forgive. Satan wants me to replay the problem over and over so I will continue to be mad and hold a grudge.

  • Forgiveness is a conscious act of mercy and both parties are well aware of the issue.
  • Forgiveness is an action that enables me to release the plight of living in the past.
  • Forgiveness is a weapon I can use against Satan’s attack to drive “us” apart.

GOD forgets the sins I have done.  In fact HE removes my sin as far as the east is from the west. HE says “I will remember their sins no more” as HE pours out HIS love on me. This is great! I mean I am truly forgiven and GOD doesn’t walk around pouting and waiting on me to make a mistake.

I still remember the sins others have committed but GOD wants me to not dwell on the past. Forgive the person as an action and time will help me forget.

  • Can you forgive “that” person?
  • Will you look at forgiveness as an act of mercy?
  • Even if the person will not own up to the issue, can you be bigger and forgive them?
  • Can you use forgiveness as a weapon against the divisive attack on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment