1 Kings 5: 2 Solomon sent back this message to Hiram:
3 “You know that because of the wars waged against my father David from all sides, he could not build a temple for the Name of the Lord his God until the Lord put his enemies under his feet.
4 But now the Lord my God has given me rest on every side, and there is no adversary or disaster. 5 I intend, therefore, to build a temple for the Name of the Lord my God, as the Lord told my father David, when he said, ‘Your son whom I will put on the throne in your place will build the temple for my Name.’
“We are adding more stock options”, the person said to me in a meeting. I began planning a lavish vacation for me and my family. I mean I worked hard and I deserved a little time off. Also, I didn’t buy much for myself but I could probably use some new gadgets. Oh, and while I thought about it, I could now fix this and that in the home.
Wow, this extra bonus sure didn’t go very far!
- Distractions in life sometimes blind me.
- Some of my choices place me in situations where I’m distracted into blindness.
- Sometimes what I raise up to importance is only a distraction which makes me blind.
There is nothing wrong with vacations and stuff but sometimes they distract me from interacting with GOD on a deeper level. Just the thought of needing to rest to recharge my batteries for more work is a distraction from GOD. HE wants more.
- GOD desires some quality time to focus on HIM when HE gives me rest.
- GOD wants me to be at peace so I can spend more time with HIM rather than filling it up with distractions.
- GOD loves when I carve out special time for only HIM and me.
GOD doesn’t need my money, my buildings or special programs. HE can raise up people from the dead who don’t need food or shelter so HE really can do without me. BUT GOD chose to have a relationship with me and wants me to “want” to be with HIM. In times of peace, GOD wants me to commune with HIM and show my appreciation for HIM.
- During peaceful times, do you show GOD appreciation?
- When is the last time you made a pledge to HIM directly?
- Can you give GOD a gift today by helping someone?