Tuesday, April 8, 2014

It’s not personal

2 Samuel 15: In the course of time, Absalom provided himself with a chariot and horses and with fifty men to run ahead of him.He would get up early and stand by the side of the road leading to the city gate. Whenever anyone came with a complaint to be placed before the king for a decision, Absalom would call out to him, “What town are you from?” He would answer, “Your servant is from one of the tribes of Israel.” 

Then Absalom would say to him, “Look, your claims are valid and proper, but there is no representative of the king to hear you.” And Absalom would add, “If only I were appointed judge in the land! Then everyone who has a complaint or case could come to me and I would see that they receive justice.”

============

I finally got the nerve to have lunch with a very powerful person seeking wisdom. There I sat, not knowing what questions to ask. “What seems to be the problem?” the mentor inquired. “Why am I not getting promoted?” I replied. “Business is not personal. You must do what you have to do to fight against those who will try to take your power away.”

“Wow!” I thought. This seemed cold but let me give it a try.  I watched some of the best use slander campaigns while self-promoting. I tried it and it worked. My power was on its way!

  • When I forget I’m dealing with people I focus on power.
  • When I think the goal is “up” I focus on power.
  • When I work towards the next level instead of raising people up I focus on power.


Power makes me treat “higher” people higher and “lower” people low. It adds fear when I’m supposed to be confident and confidence when I’ supposed to be humble. Fortunately GOD placed people in my life to correct my course. “Raise people up and you will do better” were the words of another mentor. GOD also added some words.

  • Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see GOD.
  • Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  • Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.


GOD also said “in order to be first you must be last.” JESUS, king of all, came to Earth as a servant. HE never begged anyone to follow HIM. HE served. With HIM it was and is personal. Each soul is special and HE wants me to treat people with dignity, respect and love.

  • Are you working under the “it’s not personal” way of thinking?
  • Do you believe you need to bow to the god of money?
  • Can you bow to the true KING?
  • Won’t you focus your behaviors on being a servant rather than seeking to be served?


No comments:

Post a Comment