Tuesday, April 1, 2014

When the cover up backfires

2 Samuel 11:So David sent this word to Joab: “Send me Uriah the Hittite.” And Joab sent him to David. When Uriah came to him, David asked him how Joab was, how the soldiers were and how the war was going. Then David said to Uriah, “Go down to your house and wash your feet.” So Uriah left the palace, and a gift from the king was sent after him. But Uriah slept at the entrance to the palace with all his master’s servants and did not go down to his house.

10 David was told, “Uriah did not go home.” So he asked Uriah, “Haven’t you just come from a military campaign? Why didn’t you go home?”

11 Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah are staying in tents, and my commander Joab and my lord’s men are camped in the open country. How could I go to my house to eat and drink and make love to my wife? As surely as you live, I will not do such a thing!”

============

“What will I do? What will I do?” I fearfully thought to myself. It was dusk and the light waned quickly.  I searched and found a can that seemed to match. I crept close, spray painted the dented car and went into the house trying to think of my next move.  I didn’t have one!

  • Sin makes me not admit things.
  • Sin makes me want to cover it up.
  • Sin makes me want to not have any consequences.


David tried to cover up his sin, but the mess was too big. The problem was, everyone else around him was acting noble and he was the one who caused the problem.  Eventually he had a person murdered and others died during this massive cover-up. GOD was not pleased.

  • GOD wants me to accept HIS consequence for my sin here on earth.
  • GOD wants me to admit I need HIM rather than scheming to get away with something.
  • GOD wants me to trust that HIS chastening is in love rather than destruction.


JESUS died for my sins and enabled me to have everlasting life. This does not take away the punishment for the things I do here on earth. GOD wants me to follow HIM and trust HIS ways. When I lust, doubt or do other blatant sins, GOD sometimes corrects my course by throwing calamity in my path.

HE knows the sin path leads me to destruction and wants nothing but the best for me. He wants me to come clean with hidden sin.

  • Are you hiding something?
  • Do you think your sin will not be made known?
  • Won’t you start your path to forgiveness by admitting your sin?
  • Can you stop pretending the problems you face are GOD’s fault and evaluate what you need to tell HIM?


No comments:

Post a Comment