Monday, September 15, 2014

Humble Is Great Medicine


1 Chronicles 12: 12 Because Rehoboam humbled himself, the Lord’s anger turned from him, and he was not totally destroyed. Indeed, there was some good in Judah.

============

Desiring a promotion, I observed how “those on the move” would talk. They would take credit for other folks work and brag about themselves. I thought, “Let me try that.” “I” did this and “I” did that was added to my speech. I wish I could remember who said this to me but someone looked at me disappointed and said “I thought you were different.”

  • When I am insecure I point to myself to get praise.
  • When I want status I point to myself to get noticed.
  • When I desire accolades I ask people to tell me how great I’m doing to grow my ego.


One problem with pointing at me is it takes the eyes off of GOD. Many people begin looking at me and even marveling at my title, status and stuff, meanwhile they are distracted from who really is providing the blessings.

  • GOD wants me to humble myself in order to point people to HIM.
  • GOD wants me to lower how I think of myself in a healthy way.
  • GOD wants me to consider HIS strength in all my plans so that I can never brag or boast.


GOD doesn’t want me to take credit for any accomplishment I have achieved. In fact I am truly supposed to give HIM praise for everything I have. Humbling myself also means I do not “deserve” any blessing I get. I don’t deserve great service but should be thankful when I get it.

Humbleness adds a level of gratitude that enables GOD’s blessings to flow.

  • Are you demanding?
  • Do you think you “deserve” to be treated better?
  • Can you humble yourself and open your eyes to the blessings GOD is pouring out on you already?



In memory of Willie Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment