Thursday, April 30, 2015

Putting Wealth into Perspective

Psalm 49: 15 But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead;
    he will surely take me to himself.
16 Do not be overawed when others grow rich,
    when the splendor of their houses increases;
17 for they will take nothing with them when they die,
    their splendor will not descend with them.
18 Though while they live they count themselves blessed—
    and people praise you when you prosper—
19 they will join those who have gone before them,
    who will never again see the light of life.
20 People who have wealth but lack understanding
    are like the beasts that perish.

============

After the conversation moved from the type of humidor this person would install, we moved on to fine wines, and then Mediterranean cruises.  I enjoyed the conversation but something felt different, something missing. I mean once we were done with the conversation about house square footage, then what was left? Oh, yeah, we could discuss cars!

  • Envy makes me secretly look at the wealthy as a destination.
  • Jealousy makes me secretly look at the wealthy as problem free.
  • Greed makes me secretly look at the wealthy as a group without a care.


The missing element was GOD. When I had these conversations with the extremely wealthy, I never heard once, the need for GOD. I found myself, leaving GOD in my car to become what the next wealthy person wanted me to become. BUT GOD says something different.

  • GOD ways to me “Stop loving money because it is the root of all kinds of evil.”
  • GOD says to me “It is harder for a rich man to enter heaven than for a camel to go through an eye of a needle.”
  • GOD says to me “What is it for a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul.”


I had a conversation with a dear friend and brother. He was trying to convince the CEO of a very large corporation to follow GOD. The CEO had just received a $2million gift on top of bonuses and salary. He said, “Get away from me with all that GOD talk.” He died at the same convention they announced his bonus. It woke me up along with many others. GOD is the pursuit. GOD is the destination.

  • Are you jealous of the wealthy?
  • Do you get mad at someone who squanders money while you struggle?
  • Can you get your eyes off of them and look at GOD’s splendor?
  • Will you accept where GOD has you and praise HIM for it?


No comments:

Post a Comment