Friday, July 31, 2015

How to Act

Psalm 112:Praise the Lord.
Blessed are those who fear the Lord,
    who find great delight in his commands.
Their children will be mighty in the land;
    the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches are in their houses,
    and their righteousness endures forever.
Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
    for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.
Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely,
    who conduct their affairs with justice.
Surely the righteous will never be shaken;
    they will be remembered forever.
They will have no fear of bad news;

    their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear;
    in the end they will look in triumph on their foes.

============

Exhausted was how I felt as I walked in the door of the church. I felt I was in round four of a twelve round boxing match against life and my corner refused to throw in the towel. The announcements came at me like daggers as I heard give more time, talent and treasures. Then others asked for help and I had none to give.

  • Sometimes I think GOD is too demanding.
  • Sometimes I think following GOD is too difficult.
  • Sometimes I think GOD set up ridiculous rules so I can fail and then HE can pounce on my every mistake.


When I examine the source of these thoughts I realize they are a mix of the enemy and my own sin nature. I am glad GOD has given us a method to fight against tempting thoughts and crazy feelings.

  • GOD wants me to praise HIM in order to overcome my situation for praise of GOD weakens any attack.
  • GOD wants me to fear the LORD because only HE holds the future rather than any person or thing I worry about.
  • GOD wants me to find delight in HIS commands even when I cannot keep them because it makes HIS SON’s death and resurrection more valuable to me.


It’s amazing that GOD only wants small items and sometimes I think HE wants me to build skyscrapers in some country and irrigate the desert. GOD wants me to stop trying to get my way and simply praise HIM, fear HIM and delight in HIM all of which are free and easy to do. 

One promise that stood out today was “they will have no fear of bad news” which means I could have bad news but my trust needs to be in GOD. Aligning to GOD is always the best way to act!

  • Are you on the brink of giving up?
  • Do you think GOD has forgotten you?
  • Can you stop thinking negative thoughts and go see a different set of positive people?


No comments:

Post a Comment