Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Stop Dodging


Psalm 109: 30 With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lord;
    in the great throng of worshipers I will praise him.
31 For he stands at the right hand of the needy,
    to save their lives from those who would condemn them.

============

After a while my eyes would glance away unconsciously. I knew the route that would have the least amount of contact and still get me to my destination on time. Still, on this route there seemed to be more this day. It was inevitable. One got in front of me and there was no way around!

“Could you spare some change?” the seemingly homeless person asked me. “They probably will spend it on booze or drugs” I justified in my mind. And besides I read an article where some guy made more money begging than I did working hard every day! “No” I answered with coins jingling in my pocket.

  • Sometimes I label the needy so I can avoid the needy.
  • Sometimes I justify the act of not helping the needy.
  • Sometimes I look at the needy as “them” and not us.


Terms like “you can’t save everyone” and “God helps those who help themselves” are not written anywhere in the Bible, yet they were guiding principles to my actions towards the homeless and destitute. BUT GOD wanted me to think about people differently.

  • GOD wants me to empathize with the poor not just have pity on them.
  • GOD wants me to have the mentality that all can be reached and it is up to me to be available.
  • GOD wants me to seek those who are in need for HE said “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”


Instead of dodging the homeless, GOD wanted me to be prepared to give to those HE put in my path, “for HE stands at the right hand of the needy to save their lives from those who would condemn them.”

  • Are you in need and think GOD has forgotten you?
  • Are you trying to avoid going out and helping the needy?
  • If you are in need can you open your hand and let GOD stand with you?
  • If you haven’t helped the needy in a while can you go out and have direct contact with them instead of anonymously giving?


No comments:

Post a Comment