Thursday, November 5, 2015

Getting Too Comfortable


Proverbs 25: 16 If you find honey, eat just enough—
    too much of it, and you will vomit.
17 Seldom set foot in your neighbor’s house—
    too much of you, and they will hate you.

============

“Come to the meeting and take notes” was the invitation of my boss’s, boss’s, boss. As I sat there with all of the people who were high up, I was a bit excited and wanted them to know my name. I kept my cool that day and simply wrote notes. “I wonder if I should tell them about what I’ve done” was my thought. After the meeting I asked someone if I should talk about myself next time. They said “sure.”

The next time, I went to the meeting prepared to talk about myself but a peer was there doing the same. I did not get to say anything. My peer was not invited back.

  • Sometimes I am prepared to get too comfortable in my surroundings.
  • Sometimes I am ready to “put my feet on someone’s furniture.”
  • Sometimes I am primed to overstay my welcome.


I find that I can get too comfortable with places and organizations and suddenly I am not treating them with the high esteem I once did. Instead of following the chain of command, I went straight to the top because I got too comfortable with those in-between. “Oh, they’ll understand” was my excuse. They sometimes did not understand. I had to stop being informal.

  • GOD says to me “Say praise for the little things and do not look for the big.”
  • GOD says to me “Treat everyone with respect and you will always do well.”
  • GOD says to me “Never overstay your welcome, but follow MY lead and I will tell you when to move.”


I must treat my neighbor as a precious gem and not get too comfortable with them. Each place I go, whether it is poor or plush, I should thank GOD for the tiny moment I was there and not desire a moment more. GOD has blessed me with that moment and that moment alone.

  • Are you trying to get comfortable in a place?
  • Do you think you have the right to spread your stuff out in someone else’s place?
  • Can you stop getting too comfortable and thank GOD for the moment HE has you there?


No comments:

Post a Comment