Wednesday, November 11, 2015

I Detest That Person


Proverbs 29: 27 The righteous detest the dishonest;
    the wicked detest the upright.

============

After returning to church from years of being away, I decided to clean up my act. I had a long list of habits that I did not want to do anymore. One after another, I dropped certain sins and felt pretty good about myself. I felt so good that I felt I could tell others what they were doing wrong. “If that person would only do x y z then their life would be so much better.” That statement soon turned into “That person is too far gone, there is no hope.”

  • There were times where I thought too highly of my “progress” in life.
  • There were times where I felt “closer” to GOD than I really was.
  • There were times where I added judgement to my righteousness making it like a bloody tampon.


“That person” or “those people” are words that are very easy for me to say. They roll off my tongue like silk and I can say what I want about “them.” Meanwhile I can think “I am better than “them.” Surely “I” would not commit “that” sin like “those people.” BUT GOD saw something different.

  • GOD saw my righteousness and compared it to JESUS’s righteousness and said it does not measure up.
  • GOD said to me “Do not think more highly of yourself otherwise pride will make you fall.”
  • GOD looked at me and told me to “Admit your need for ME and acknowledge ME in all your ways and you will be blessed.”


Now when I see “that person” or “those people” I have to ask GOD “Is that how I’m acting right now?” “Will YOU change my heart to be used in this situation to bring all of us back to YOU?” I need to include myself in “those people” and have compassion.

  • Are you laying down your judgment?
  • Do you feel justified for not liking “those people?”
  • Will you include yourself in the crowd of people you dislike and help them back to GOD?
  • Will you ask GOD to remove your stony heart for those you dislike?”


No comments:

Post a Comment