Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Success in the Making


Proverbs 28: 25 The greedy stir up conflict,
    but those who trust in the Lord will prosper.
26 Those who trust in themselves are fools,
    but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.
27 Those who give to the poor will lack nothing,
    but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses.


============

“What does it take to be successful” I asked my assigned mentor. “You have to be tough, learn how to promote yourself and manage upward” were his words of advice. Since “tough” did not mean going out and starting a fist fight I took it to mean that I had to become brazen with my words and desirous to have more wealth.

Promoting myself meant I had to believe I was the smartest thing in the world. Managing upward meant I had to cater to the whims of the wealthy while ignoring those below. Is this success?

  • There were times where I was willing to chase success at the cost of others.
  • There were times where I was willing to sacrifice relationships in order to “be tough.”
  • There were times where I was willing to be “successful” from a human perspective without weighing the GODLY consequences.


One might say I was justified in fighting with the bullies in leadership. Going toe to toe, meeting blow for blow was heralded as the thing to do. “They” even gave me more money for it! Soon I did not feel compassion for the fallen. BUT GOD wanted me to think differently.

  • GOD wants me to see every human as HIS and tells me to put down my knife.
  • GOD desires that I seek HIS wisdom and not trust in my own.
  • GOD tells me to give to the poor and let the rich worry about themselves.


Human success is quite the opposite of success in GOD’s eyes. HE felt “success” was to become the poorest human on the planet, only to get blamed for my sins. HE never sought riches or power or fame. HE only cared for me and did not care about anything else. GOD loves me to the point of giving everything up for me.

  • Are you trying to become successful?
  • Do you feel conflicted when you have to dish out words of hidden poison?
  • Can you focus on what GOD will have you do?
  • Will you ask HIM for HIS wisdom and seek those in need?


No comments:

Post a Comment