Tuesday, December 1, 2015

In the Spotlight


Ecclesiastes 7: 21 Do not pay attention to every word people say,
    or you may hear your servant cursing you—
22 for you know in your heart
    that many times you yourself have cursed others.

============

Walking past a group of the “in crowd” I stopped and paused next to them. They were chattering about different subjects that I found relevant and I wanted to be in the clique. I answered a question that was not asked to me and got “looks” from a few people in the group.  Expecting to hear something good, I returned again later. The next time I tried to insert myself into the conversation, I realized a couple of people were talking “about” me and giggling.

  • Sometimes I wanted to be part of the crowd a little more than I should have.
  • Sometimes I listened in on conversations that I was not welcome.
  • Sometimes I eavesdropped when I should have kept to myself.


It is not a bad thing to seek friends, but choose them wisely is what someone taught me. I wanted to be in the spotlight with a crowd of people who did not care about me or anyone else. I was even willing to change my personality in order to fit in with the group. BUT GOD guided me away.

  • GOD wants me to join a crowd of people who are serving HIM.
  • GOD wants me to accept people the way they are.
  • GOD wants me to be the person who brings people together and throw my slanderous tongue away.


Instead of being like people GOD wants me to be like HIM. HE cares infinitely about me and wants me to do the same for HIS people on a smaller scale. GOD wants my tongue to be encouraging and my ears closed to negative conversation. I pick and chose conversations to join in on.

  • Are you an eavesdropper?
  • Do you listen in on conversations that you may get your feelings hurt?
  • Can you step back and add GOD’s discernment to whether you should be listening?
  • Will you start your own crowd of followers of GOD?



No comments:

Post a Comment