Jeremiah 11: 3 Tell them that this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Cursed is the one who does not obey the terms of this covenant— 4 the terms I commanded your ancestors when I brought them out of Egypt, out of the iron-smelting furnace.’ I said, ‘Obey me and do everything I command you, and you will be my people, and I will be your God. 5 Then I will fulfill the oath I swore to your ancestors, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey’—the land you possess today.”
I answered, “Amen, Lord.”
Negotiating had become a skill. As a contract was placed in front of me, I could quickly assess where the terms and conditions could change or be removed completely. In a shrewd way I gained popularity. When problems hit, I turned this perceptive methodology on GOD. “Didn’t I serve YOU once ten years ago? Remember?”
- There have been times when I tried to bargain for my terms with GOD.
- There have been times that I told GOD how much “I” was doing for HIM.
- There have been times I tried to negotiate with GOD, impress GOD or flatter HIM into looking over my sinful ways.
“Maybe GOD won’t see the sin I’m doing if I do stuff for HIM” was my attitude that I fooled myself into believing. GOD wasn’t buying it. HE wanted me to be naked in front of HIM and others.
- GOD wants me to stop bargaining for myself and accept HIS path for me.
- GOD wants me to stop scheming to get “my” way and learn to settle down and accept HIS way.
- GOD wants me to stop complaining about where HE has me and praise HIM for what HE “is” doing for me.
Obedience seems like such a harsh word when I am pulling away. I mean why should I “obey” when I am not getting “my” way? GOD gently tells me that I will get my way when I align it to “HIS way.” When I stop doing the evil in my heart and follow HIM, HE gives me all “the things” I need and desire. HE tells me I am already in the land of milk and honey so I should be a good steward of it while I can. I answered “Amen LORD.”
- Are you bargaining with GOD?
- Have you told GOD how “good” you have been?
- Can you stop trying to manipulate HIM and serve HIM with all your heart?