Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Bargaining for the Right Terms

Jeremiah 11: Tell them that this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Cursed is the one who does not obey the terms of this covenant— the terms I commanded your ancestors when I brought them out of Egypt, out of the iron-smelting furnace.’ I said, ‘Obey me and do everything I command you, and you will be my people, and I will be your God. Then I will fulfill the oath I swore to your ancestors, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey’—the land you possess today.”
I answered, “Amen, Lord.”

============

Negotiating had become a skill. As a contract was placed in front of me, I could quickly assess where the terms and conditions could change or be removed completely. In a shrewd way I gained popularity. When problems hit, I turned this perceptive methodology on GOD. “Didn’t I serve YOU once ten years ago? Remember?”

  • There have been times when I tried to bargain for my terms with GOD.
  • There have been times that I told GOD how much “I” was doing for HIM.
  • There have been times I tried to negotiate with GOD, impress GOD or flatter HIM into looking over my sinful ways.


“Maybe GOD won’t see the sin I’m doing if I do stuff for HIM” was my attitude that I fooled myself into believing. GOD wasn’t buying it. HE wanted me to be naked in front of HIM and others.

  • GOD wants me to stop bargaining for myself and accept HIS path for me.
  • GOD wants me to stop scheming to get “my” way and learn to settle down and accept HIS way.
  • GOD wants me to stop complaining about where HE has me and praise HIM for what HE “is” doing for me.


Obedience seems like such a harsh word when I am pulling away. I mean why should I “obey” when I am not getting “my” way?  GOD gently tells me that I will get my way when I align it to “HIS way.” When I stop doing the evil in my heart and follow HIM, HE gives me all “the things” I need and desire. HE tells me I am already in the land of milk and honey so I should be a good steward of it while I can. I answered “Amen LORD.”

  • Are you bargaining with GOD?
  • Have you told GOD how “good” you have been?
  • Can you stop trying to manipulate HIM and serve HIM with all your heart? 


No comments:

Post a Comment