Friday, April 8, 2016

Getting Comforted


Jeremiah 8: 18 You who are my Comforter in sorrow,
    my heart is faint within me.
19 Listen to the cry of my people
    from a land far away:
“Is the Lord not in Zion?
    Is her King no longer there?”
“Why have they aroused my anger with their images,
    with their worthless foreign idols?”

============

After a while, “talking things out” did not work. I mean most of the time the words coming from my mouth ended up being complaints about this or that. The more I spoke about the problems, the larger the problems seemed to get.

  • It seems like when I have problems, I want to talk about the problem.
  • It seems like when I am in a trial, I want to tell other people about my trial.
  • It seems like when I have difficulties, I want others to agree on how difficult it truly is.


Seeking comfort is a lifelong quest. I mean, when I am cold, I seek more clothing to warm me. When I am wet I seek dry shelter. When I feel low I seek comfort in my sorrow. The problem is, I may seek comfort in “my” way and if I do not get that comfort then I may pout. BUT GOD understands.

  • GOD says to me “I know your sins and I (JESUS) died for all of them.”
  • GOD says to me “I knew you before the creation of the world and I loved you before you were made.”
  • GOD says to me “I (JESUS) AM alive and I AM building a place for you so I have sent the COMFORTER to be with you until I return.”


Seeking “comfort” my way may lead to sin. I mean the world offers so many shiny holes to fall into that I may be blinded by its allure. BUT GOD wants me to pay attention to the HOLY SPIRIT which leads me back to HIM. HE pry’s my hands open to the unrighteous acts I hold onto and comforts me in my loss. The HOLT SPIRIT pleads on my behalf each night when I sleep and guides me during the day. I know where to turn when I need comfort, namely the HOLY SPIRIT.

  • Do you need comfort?
  • Are you full of sorrow?
  • Can you stop twisting reality to “your” story and seek GOD’s way of comforting you?
  • Will you stop talking about the problem and start seeking GOD as the solution? 


No comments:

Post a Comment