Thursday, April 21, 2016

Putting 5 Senses to Work

Jeremiah 17: The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.
    Who can understand it?
10 “I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward each person according to their conduct,
    according to what their deeds deserve.”

============

Chocolate cake piled as high as the centerpiece was the decadent dessert placed before us. It was very tasty. As the conversation flowed, we discussed a person. The “stuff” about that person was juicy. My eyes spied the car I really liked and I said to myself “One day.” The car looked shiny. A person walked past me who could have used two showers and I was repulsed. They were smelly. When I got outside I grimaced because I got wet and felt cold. It was rainy.

  • My senses can trigger my thoughts.
  • My senses can start me on a path of thinking that many not be the best.
  • My senses can kick off a sequence of opinions that could lead me to a not so good place.


Each day I am faced with the use of the five senses I am given. When I use my senses selfishly, pride, greed, lust, malicious envy, gluttony, wrath and slothfulness creep in. If I look at the wrong thing or touch the right thing I am sent on a path that is not pleasing to GOD. Is there any help?

  • GOD says to me “I the LORD search the heart and I can cleanse it of all unrighteousness.”
  • GOD says to me “I examine the mind and I can hold all thoughts captive.”
  • GOD says to me “I will reward you for your conduct, not your thoughts.”


Just because a bad thought pops in my head does not mean I have to act on it. Now I can see why Paul says “pray without ceasing.” In the moment I listen to the gossip, I should be praying for the transmitter, myself and the person being spoken about who is not there. After the prayer, I can then excuse myself from the conversation.

Each time I use my senses for GOD I am rewarded. HE understands that I may sin, but HE is excited when I choose not to. As I mature in CHRIST I can make a choice to use my senses in ways that please HIM.

  • Are you seeking pleasure?
  • Do you think you “deserve” a break from being “good?”
  • Can you hold a few more of your thoughts captive and ask GOD to have at least one more today?


No comments:

Post a Comment