Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Generational Blessings

Jeremiah 35: 18 Then Jeremiah said to the family of the Rekabites, “This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘You have obeyed the command of your forefather Jehonadab and have followed all his instructions and have done everything he ordered.’ 19 Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘Jehonadab son of Rekab will never fail to have a descendant to serve me.’”

============

Following GOD is a decision that has to be made each day. I mean there are so many things that can take me away from focusing on GOD that seem harmless. Any moment I spend thinking about something else, I am not thinking about GOD. I know this seems a bit extreme, but I have noticed more and more “harmless” things popping up in my life and I end up so busy that GOD is no longer there.

  • GOD wants me to take time to think about HIM each day.
  • GOD wants me to worship HIM with a purpose.
  • GOD wants me to belong to HIM rather than HE serving me.


Jehonadab decided not to drink wine, own a house or have a job, all of which are harmless. He decided to only be GOD’s servant and kept that promise all throughout his life. His children, also known as the Rekabites, kept this promise as well. GOD was pleased, not only that they kept a promise but they made one in the first place. Making a promise to GOD to refrain from something one desires is difficult, yet beautiful.

  • Each time I deny something in a sacrifice to GOD is a moment I can spend with HIM.
  • Each distraction I can lay aside in a sacrifice to GOD is a moment I can worship HIM.
  • Each harmless item I can deny myself in a sacrifice to GOD is a moment I can be with HIM.


Obedience, promises and worship are things that make GOD delight in our relationship. When I do these things, GOD has never, ever, ever disappointed me. HE likes when I acknowledge the fact that HE needs to be GOD without my questioning HIS authority, power, ability or supremacy. My full trust in HIM allows me to make promises to HIM for which HE blesses me when I keep them. HE even blesses my family and I am truly grateful.

  • Do you want GOD’s blessings?
  • Are you willing to make a sacrificial promise to GOD?
  • Can you give up something harmless for a short period of time?
  • What will you do with your time?
  • Will you add a little more worship during this sacrificial time?


No comments:

Post a Comment