Jeremiah 24: 2 One basket had very good figs, like those that ripen early; the other basket had very bad figs, so bad they could not be eaten.
3 Then the Lord asked me, “What do you see, Jeremiah?”
“Figs,” I answered. “The good ones are very good, but the bad ones are so bad they cannot be eaten.”
4 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 5 “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians. 6 My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. 7 I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.
Doing wrong seemed a bit harder this time. I had rededicated my life to CHRIST and I wanted to follow HIS ways further. I studied more and took the words to heart. But every once in a while I just wanted to act like a child and get “my” way. I would do a “little” sin. As soon as I would do something, it seemed like punishment would happen right away. “Wait a minute GOD, Didn’t I serve you last year and didn’t I do x y z?”
- There are times when GOD chastens me.
- There are times when GOD allows me to have consequences of my actions.
- There are times when GOD lets me have wounds from the things I do.
When going into “exile” I act as if I do not deserve consequence. I pout and try to justify my sinful actions as if to say, “Give me a break, don’t YOU realize I am good?” to GOD. HE wants me to have the same attitude when I enter exile as the one when I return.
- GOD wants me to praise HIM for HIS guidance even when it means I have to experience HIS chastening.
- GOD wants me to be excited that HE is willing to correct me and not leave me in my old ways.
- GOD wants me to see that HE “is” watching over me even when I have been exiled.
Instead of saying “GOD are YOU here?” I should say “Thank YOU for watching over me!” I should know HE is building me up not tearing me down. GOD is giving me a heart to know HIM and I know HE loves me!
- Do you feel distant from GOD?
- Do you feel like GOD is punishing you?
- Can you take the dry season and allow GOD wo remold you into HIS own image?
- Will you praise GOD no matter what circumstance you are in?