Matthew 27: 19 While Pilate was sitting on the judge’s seat, his wife sent him this message: “Don’t have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him.”
20 But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.
21 “Which of the two do you want me to release to you?” asked the governor.
“Barabbas,” they answered.
22 “What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called the Messiah?” Pilate asked.
They all answered, “Crucify him!”
23 “Why? What crime has he committed?” asked Pilate.
But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify him!”
24 When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “It is your responsibility!”
25 All the people answered, “His blood is on us and on our children!”
26 Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.
We insisted on police protection so we planned a walk-out. When we got outside of the school we had no other plan. Some went home, others mulled around but one guy decided to get on top of a car and stir the crowd. “I wonder if I should get on the car” I thought to myself, but before I could act on the thought, the police whisked him away. Whew, I thought!
- Sometimes I can get carried away with the crowd.
- Sometimes the crowd seems like it is doing the right thing to me.
- Sometimes I can get caught up in the moment with the crowd.
Pilate based his decision on an angry crowd with no distinct leader and thorough chaos abounding. His wife mentioned JESUS’s innocence but Pilate listened to those in charge of the local churches. The crowd won out.
- GOD wants me to follow HIM even when it is not what the crowd says.
- GOD wants me to get carried away with HIM, not the crowd.
- GOD wants me to understand true innocence based on HIS definition, not the crowd.
Innocence to GOD means I believe in HIS SON as the one and only SAVIOR. Only HIS innocent blood can wash away my sins. I am declared innocent through JESUS.
- Are you following the crowd even when JESUS is trying to speak to you?
- Do you think the crowd had a better idea than GOD?
- Will you allow yourself to be led by HIS SPIRIT by following HIS word today?