Matthew 23: 5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.
8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
“Making it” was top of mind. I tried not to step on people, but if a person got in my way, they were in trouble. I did get the title and it felt great to have the “respect.”
- Seeking places of honor can sometimes make me blind.
- Seeking to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces can sometimes puff up my head.
- Seeking a title or a position of status can sometimes lead me to think I am better than I am.
JESUS makes it clear that HE is the only instructor and the FATHER is the only father. Anyone who seeks to have the spotlight on themselves in the church will be knocked down.
- GOD wants me to humble myself so HE will not have to.
- GOD wants me to humble myself so HE can use me HIS way.
- GOD wants me to humble myself so HE can exalt me.
When I am in a humble position I celebrate more. I mean when GOD raises me up, even a little, I am thankful and I cheer. On the other hand, when I seek a title that I feel I “deserve” and do not get it, I pout and life is quite miserable. GOD wants me to be a servant no matter what title or position HE gives me. Serving others as HE served me is the highest honor!
- Are you trying to get a title?
- Do you feel you “deserve” better in life?
- Can you seek to serve rather trying to exalt yourself?