Matthew 6: 16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
As we were talking about going over someone’s house I think I said, “What time are we leaving? I have to know because I’m fasting.” When we left I think I said “Which way is it to their house? I have to know because I’m fasting. Did I tell you I’m fasting?”
- Sometimes I want to be recognized for my “righteous” acts.
- Sometimes I want to be recognized for my “goody-goody” appearance.
- Sometimes I want to be recognized for my “spiritual” efforts.
“You’re fasting?” was the response I was looking for and I received over and over that day. When I read this verse I realized I could have eaten that day because I was not fasting for GOD.
- When I fast GOD wants me to keep my normal face on in order to not draw attention to myself.
- When I fast GOD wants me to not let others know so the fast can be between me and HIM.
- When I fast GOD wants me to understand that I do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from HIM.
I noticed some important words that GOD says in this passage, “When you fast.” This means GOD expects a fast. These words come right after HE said “When you pray” because HE expects that too.
I have heard others try to explain to me that fasting was only for a group of people at a special time, blah, blah. BUT GOD says to me “I will reward your fasting efforts done in secret.” GOD opens my eyes when I fast and lets me know that survival is not only dependent on physical food but spiritual as well.
- Are you afraid to fast?
- Have you been told to fast by a doctor?
- Why can’t you fast for the LORD?
- Will you take time out this month and fast for GOD without telling others?