Matthew 6: “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Flipping pages in the program became more and more rapid as I searched for my name. I had given but did not see my name or the amount. “Excuse me!” I stopped someone. “Where is my name?”
- There were times I wanted to be recognized.
- There were times I wanted to be the center of attention.
- There were times I wanted to be noticed because of my giving.
Receiving pats on the back feels really good. I mean having a bunch of people saying “You did well” feels tremendous. BUT GOD wants me to behave a bit different.
- GOD wants me to give to the needy in secret.
- GOD wants me to give with the right motive of giving.
- GOD wants me to give in a way that I will be rewarded by HIM and not by those who will puff me up.
Giving in public sometimes takes the eyes off of the recipient and sadly off of GOD. All of the accolades come towards me, meanwhile no one asks me, “who did you serve and how can I help?” The recipient then thanks “me” and not GOD.
Secret giving enables the recipient to receive something they need, assisting them to focus on GOD as the provider, not me. GOD may have prompted me to take a portion of my wealth and hand it over to those in need and if I am obedient, everyone is rewarded. No accolades needed because GOD is my reward.
- Are you bragging about what you are giving?
- Do you feel you need to tell someone about who or how you are serving in order to get a pat on the back?
- Can you stop seeking accolades and start seeking secret rewards from GOD today?