Matthew 5: 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
“Strong dislike” was the feeling I had towards this guy. I mean he had come along an upended my world simply by being inserted as my boss. He went out of his way to harm me and seemed even more maleficent when I showed any type of resilience.
- There have been times that I didn’t like a person.
- There have been people in my life that I could do without.
- There have been times when I brooded so much over a person that I lost sleep.
Replaying the “criminal” act over and over made me furious. I could not help but conclude that the only answer was to have this person dropped off a mountain while locked in an exploding train met with jagged rocks and a shark pit. Since I couldn’t afford to buy a train, I just sat and fumed.
- GOD said to me “Love your enemies.”
- GOD said to me “Pray for those who persecute you.”
- GOD said to me “Be perfect just as I, your HEAVENLY FATHER, AM perfect.”
Perfection in this example was “Love.” He wanted me to take bitterness and poison out of my heart and replace it with love for those who went out of their way to harm me. It took time to drive out the bitter thinking. I actually found myself praying for this person more and more. Soon I was able to sleep well.
Their onerous acts became child’s play to me. GOD removed the bitterness by showing me how HE handles HIS enemies, namely me. HE forgave me for my sins and allowed me to flourish instead. HE is a great example!
- Are you bitter about someone?
- Do you have a long standing grudge with someone?
- Do you have hatred in your heart over “that” person or “those” people?
- Will you drop your hatred and replace your poison with GOD’s love?