Matthew 7: 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Scared half to death I read this passage. I mean who can be sure they are saved if this is written? Also, the statement “Away from ME, you evildoers!” seems pretty permanent.
- It is quite possible for me to act righteous and not be righteous.
- It is quite possible for me to preach about JESUS and not believe in HIS position, power or protection.
- It is quite possible for me to actually drive out demons and perform miracles in JESUS name without believing “in JESUS name.”
Mimicking a follower of CHRIST is still effective because GOD’s word does not return void. In other words, even if I did not believe in what I am saying, the words are still true. I can say “GOD sent HIS SON to save the world” but if I do not believe HE saved me, then I have wasted my words. What can make me sure?
- GOD says to me “But the one who does the will of MY FATHER who is in Heaven will enter.”
- GOD says to me “Follow MY SON for who I AM well pleased.”
- GOD says to me “Be led by the HOLY SPIRIT and all will be well with you.
A sigh of relief came over me when I saw what I overlooked. GOD simply wants me to do HIS will and stop trying to impress the crowds by pretending to hear from HIM. GOD speaks to me daily through HIS word and when it says to stop, keep going or stand up, I need to obey immediately.
GOD wants my total attention and while I am still a bit nervous about this passage, HE enables me to clearly see that I can humble myself to obey HIS will. I do not have to “try to convince” GOD that I am doing HIS will when I am doing HIS will.
- Are you mimicking?
- Do you have dishonorable motives of leading a group or getting rich off of GOD?
- Can you stop using HIS people and seek GOD’s will for them?
- Will you stop siding with humans and ask GOD to lead you with HIS HOLY SPIRIT?