Monday, February 6, 2017

Deep Devotion

Matthew 8: 18 When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake. 19 Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”

20 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

21 Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
22 But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”


============

After a long stent of being away, going to church was now a regular thing for me. I said “No” to more and more things that I used to do and say. I was finally getting my life back on track. When the sermon was about money, however, I did not want to hear it. “These preachers are always talking about money!” I thought to myself. “I already increased my giving from One dollar to Five dollars, what more do they want!?

  • My thoughts of money have gotten in the way of my relationship with GOD.
  • My thoughts of things have been a major problem with GOD.
  • My thoughts of comfort have been a war between GOD’s servanthood and my desires.


JESUS had no worldly possessions, no money and no place to live. HE lived like this to show us that life is so much more than these things. Just because a human is alive does not make that person “deserving” of more stuff. HE wanted me to learn about following HIM.

  • GOD wants me to follow HIM unimpeded so if I have “stuff” then HE wants me to put it second to HIM.
  • GOD wants me to follow HIM without distraction so if my worries are on “stuff” coming or going then he wants me to change my thinking.
  • GOD wants me to follow HIM with all my heart so if my heart is on “stuff” then HE wants me to ask for a clean heart which may mean losing my “stuff.”


Even in the example of “burying” the father, JESUS interjects “Let the dead bury their own dead.” I thought this was harsh at first. You mean leave the rotting corpse on the street? No, not quite. I believe JESUS was shortening the mourning period up for this person. Estate handling, amongst many other details could impede service for quite a while.

JESUS wants service to HIM now, not after I retire or after the business is up and running well or after I graduate eighty years from now. HE knows I can make excuses for not serving HIM and any excuse is nothing but an excuse. I can serve those around me wherever HE places me.

  • Are you making excuses for not serving JESUS?
  • Do you say “I have too many bills” or “I have to do this before I serve?”
  • Can you stop making excuses and start serving CHRIST right where you are?
  • Will you stop asking for stuff for just a moment and ask “Who would you like me to serve?”



No comments:

Post a Comment