Thursday, February 16, 2017

Harassed and Helpless

Matthew 9: 35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

============

Walking down the hallway of my dorm, a guy stuck his head out of a room and screamed “Hey [racial name]!” and slammed the door giggling. Filled with rage, I went to the night clerk who was six feet, five inches and my friend. We banged on the door until they opened it, there were seven or eight guys in the room.

“Who is the guy who made slurs at my friend?” I pointed the guy out by hitting him on the back of his head. Nothing good came out of the situation. For the rest of the year, the floor had tension.

  • There were times when I have been harassed.
  • There were times when I have felt helpless.
  • There have been times I have taken matters into my own hands and did not get very far.


Rage, anger and hatred are values that get me into trouble. When I feel like retaliating, but cannot, I feel helpless. When someone else attacks me I immediately go on the defense, ready to go to war with them. We will go blow for blow until everyone loses. BUT GOD wants me to behave differently.

  • GOD wants me to see the sickness and disease of humanity.
  • GOD wants me to have compassion on the crowd.
  • GOD wants me to ask HIM “Please send out workers into YOUR field.”


Falling down the hole of rage blinds me to the ailment “we” all have, namely sin. I elevate “that” person’s sins over mine and blame them for all of the world’s problems. GOD wants me to calm down for a moment and pray to HIM so HIS Good News can be spread. The Good News is that JESUS has already won and there is no fight!

GOD wants my rage to be replaced with HIS compassion. HE took care of it all.

  • Are you being harassed by life?
  • Do you feel helpless?
  • Can you stop focusing on the harassment and look at GOD’s deliverance?
  • Will you ask GOD for more of HIS workers to help spread the Good News?



No comments:

Post a Comment