Matthew 8: When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him. 2 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”
3 Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy. 4 Then Jesus said to him, “See that you don’t tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
“Demand a raise” was the thought that popped in my head. I walked into my evaluation and said all of the things that “I” had accomplished. I literally spent hours writing this stuff down. After the meeting I was proud of myself for being able to come up with all of these “wonderful” accomplishments.
- There have been times I have demanded.
- There have been times I have thought more of myself.
- There have been times I have tried to convince others that I was more than what I am.
Arrogance was speaking to my pride as I waltzed down the hallways thinking “I” did all of this. When I got my average raise, I was furious. Looking back I can see several mistakes in my approach.
- GOD wants me to be humble in my request.
- GOD wants me to recognize HIS power and authority in all situations.
- GOD wants me to ask HIM, not demand HIM.
GOD is not owned by me but HE is my GOD and I am HIS servant. HE enables me to humbly ask for things and HE has the right to say “No”, “Wait” or “Yes” whenever HE pleases. The man with leprosy humbled himself thoroughly. He followed JESUS for a while, he knelt down and he asked, knowing JESUS could say “No.”
One critical thing I noticed is JESUS said “don’t tell anyone.” Wait, there was a crowd there! HE sent the cleansed leper directly to those who opposed HIM as a testimony of HIS power.
- Are you bragging about your power?
- Is all the attention on you?
- Can you stop trying to draw attention to yourself and have people focus on GOD?
- Will you humbly ask JESUS to make you clean?