Matthew 8: 23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
Paralyzed with fear, I did not know what to say. I was in front of a big crowd for the first time and had to say some very bad news regarding money. Every word that came out of my mouth was salted with trembling tones. I was scared!
- There are moments I have been filled with fear.
- There are times when I have been afraid.
- There are situations that seem so frightening that I just want out!
Being filled with fear makes me want to run home and cry. When the storm of life turns into a torrent, I cry out to GOD “Don’t YOU hear me?” BUT GOD handles me gently.
- GOD asks me “Why are you afraid?
- GOD says to me “Focus on ME, not the storm.”
- GOD tells me “I AM going to strengthen you so other storms will not break you.”
Each stormy gale I face makes me stronger for the next. GOD sees my meager faith and wants it to grow. HE allows situations to happen and little by little I turn to HIM instead of relying on me.
Saying “We’re going to drown!” is not showing GOD faith. I know that sounds harsh and by no means do I take drowning lightly. GOD wants me to have faith enough to know HE will take me through storms in order to serve HIS purpose. I can also have the faith to know that when I finish serving HIS purpose, HE will take me home to say “well done.”
- Are you nervous about something?
- Do you feel afraid?
- Can you stop thinking about your situation for a moment to ask GOD for your purpose?
- Will you seek what GOD will have you do today?