Matthew 9: 9 As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.
10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
“Those people are bad” I said. I mean look at “them!” “They” are doing [insert sin]. I better tell “them” about “themselves” so “they” will stop sinning!
- GOD said to me “Your righteousness is like a filthy rag.”
- GOD said to me “Your righteousness is like dung to ME.”
- GOD said to me “Your righteousness is a barrier to people accepting ME as their Savior.”
Pimp, hooker, gay, gambler, druggy and racist were convenient labels I placed on “those” people, meanwhile I forgot to say what I was, namely a lust-filled, greedy, power hungry blamer. I had stopped doing several sins only to pick up socially acceptable sins with honored labels.
People would label me as “One of us” or “Wealth Minded” or “Ambitious” or better yet “Calls ‘em as he sees ‘em.” BUT GOD wants me to have different labels.
- GOD wants me to label myself as a “sinner” who needs HIS mercy.
- GOD wants me to label myself as a “dead soul” in need of resurrection from HIM and HIM alone.
- GOD wants me to label myself as a “forgiven being” because I believe that HE (JESUS), died for me on purpose and now lives as my Savior.
“Our” FATHER and give “Us” this day “Our” daily bread show me how GOD wants me to think. HE doesn’t want me to label “those” people rather HE wants me to include myself in “that” crowd.
Drawing people back to GOD means I need to be transparent about my sins, not my accomplishments. GOD doesn't need another perfect sacrifice; JESUS was already the chosen one. HE needs a “sinner” to say “Isn’t GOD wonderful? I did all of this and HE forgave me for ALL of it!”
HE wants me to show what a changed life can be like by demonstrating hope in HIM no matter what the storm brings.
- Are you labeling people?
- Do you think “that” person is bad and you are “good?”
- Can you stop labeling people for a minute and label yourself before GOD?
- Will you ask HIM for HIS forgiveness today?