Matthew 9: 14 Then John’s disciples came and asked him, “How is it that we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do not fast?”
15 Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.
Hungry and tired I sat at the reception. Finally the wedding party showed up and I got excited because I would finally eat. They put on some long program and I began to pout. Finally they started serving food. The servers passed by my table and went directly to the wedding party. “Hey! What about us over here?”
- Sometimes I ask “Why them and not me GOD?”
- Sometimes I ask “Why are they so special?”
- Sometimes I ask “Why do I have to do all this stuff and they don’t?”
Jealous of being last, I questioned why I wasn’t served first. I mean they were the ones who made “me” wait. “Shouldn’t they wait for their food?” was my flawed line of thinking.
- GOD says to me “The last shall be first and the first will be last.”
- GOD says to me “Do not be jealous of the BRIDEGROOM for HE has a special purpose.”
- GOD says to me “There is a time to make others special, have patience.”
This was my first wedding and a memorable one. That day makes me relate to this passage. “Why are ‘they’ so special that they don’t have to follow the rules” is the question at hand. JESUS said ‘They will follow the rules and do much more.’ JESUS knew the disciples had to go through a very difficult time.
What is amazing is JESUS took time to explain what was going on too those who sought HIM. John’s disciples were asking a question, not trying to trip JESUS up, but simply to understand “Doesn’t everyone have to follow the rules?” JESUS points out that HE is the most important rule. Celebrate HIM and you will have special treatment.
- Are you jealous of someone?
- Do you think it is not fair that you have to follow the rules and someone else doesn’t?
- Can you stop looking at other people and simply follow GOD where HE has you?