Matthew 16: The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
2 He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. 4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.
“If YOU are GOD then…” were the immature words out of my mouth as if to say, “Prove YOURSELF to me.” Looking back on these words, I can see why they were a problem with GOD.
- When I say “If YOU are GOD” I really mean “I don’t believe who YOU are.”
- When I say “If YOU are GOD” I really mean “YOU should bow YOURSELF at my demands.”
- When I say “If YOU are GOD” I really mean “I am a better judge than YOU so prove YOURSELF to my standards.”
“Prove it” was the approach the Pharisees and Sadducees took towards JESUS. Their expectation of a military genius and a mighty, muscular, king was thwarted by this insignificant looking being who spread love and peace versus conquering enemies.
Since JESUS did not meet “their” expectation, they put up barriers to make HIM prove HIMSELF as being GOD to them. I have done the same. BUT GOD guides me back to HIM.
- GOD wants me to believe in HIM with childlike belief.
- GOD wants me to trust in HIM with my whole being.
- GOD wants me to obey HIM rather than tempting HIM to prove HIS abilities.
Parlor tricks are not GOD’s style. HE does not bow down to any human no matter their demands. HE deserves praise, honor and reverence from me because HE is GOD. All I need to do is believe.
- Do you doubt GOD?
- Do you try to force HIM to perform a miracle in front of you so you can believe?
- Will you stop trying to get GOD to prove HIMSELF to you and start trusting in HIM today?