Matthew 16: 21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”
23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
“You won’t die” were my words to the person I donated blood platelets to. I mean this was my desire and I truly meant it with the best intentions. BUT GOD had other intentions.
- Sometimes when I speak about GOD, humanity is mixed in.
- Sometimes when I talk about HIS power, my sinfulness is mixed in.
- Sometimes when I utter words about GOD, I place my desires over HIS supremacy.
“GOD won’t do this” or “GOD won’t do that” may be my hopes, but may not be quite true. Peter did not know GOD’s wonderful purpose of saving mankind. He saw JESUS as the next great leader who had some better parlor tricks than anyone else. His statement “YOU are the CHRIST” was doused by saying “YOU won’t die”.
Peter did not know GOD’s intention to save the world through HIS death and resurrection so he put words in HIS mouth.
- GOD wants me to ask what to say before I speak.
- GOD wants me to tell the truth in love speaking only from what GOD has to say.
- GOD wants me to not be afraid to give the hard news of the reality of HIS plan.
Worry ensues when I go against GOD’s plan. When HE wants to “ruin” me and I don’t want to be ruined, I worry and perhaps put words in HIS mouth. HE has taken me down many times only to build me up better than before. Following GOD’s plan means I allow HIM to be supreme. I do not have to place human words in HIS mouth.
- Are you secretly trying to steer GOD?
- Do you find yourself trying to get your way by saying you are exercising faith but you are really exercising worry?
- Can you stop trying to manipulate the situation and allow GOD to transform you into something greater?