Matthew 20: 24 When the ten heard about this, they were indignant with the two brothers. 25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
After learning a lot, I felt it was time for me to try my hand at management. I mean I was deemed the “best” in the department in the technical systems. I asked to lead a group and was given the okay. “Do this” and “Do that” were my first orders. Later, I received complaints about my “management style.”
- I once thought being the boss meant bossing people around.
- I once thought being the boss meant I was on top and everyone else was on the bottom.
- I once thought being the boss meant “do as I say” and that is that.
Being the boss quickly turned into a mutiny when I tried to flex my position. I went into my boss’s office to find no console. What was I to do? I still had to lead the people.
- GOD says to me “You must become a servant.”
- GOD says to me “I became a human to serve, not to be served.”
- GOD says to me “I freely gave MY life as a ransom for you and for many.”
JESUS wants me to follow HIS example of extreme servanthood in order to be the leader HE wants me to be. Human leaders boss people around, sometimes they bully people into action. GOD wants me to serve people into action. Those who respond to HIS example belong to HIM; those who do not respond are not mine to lead, it’s as simple as that.
Once I started “serving” the people, they began serving me and others. GOD enables me to serve in order to draw people back to HIM.
- Are you trying to be bossy?
- Do you criticize your leaders?
- Can you become a servant whether you are the boss or the employee for GOD today?