Matthew 19: 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”
26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
“Lifejacket” I thought to myself. “Why would I need one of those? Will we sink? Is this boat safe? This was my reaction to my first boat ride in a small two oar boat. I clung onto what I thought would save me and did not enjoy the trip, at first.
- I have clung onto things I thought would save me.
- I have broken my neck to remain “insured.”
- I thought doctors, investors and insurance people could protect me.
One item I could not protect with my lifejacket was my soul. As precious as I thought my body was, my soul was so much more important. JESUS talks about this with HIS disciples. “Who then can be saved?” they asked in response to the wealthy having a difficult time entering heaven.
- GOD wants my total trust in HIM
- GOD does not want me to think I can save myself by “my” wealth or diet or exercise.
- GOD wants me to place an impossible task in HIS hands and allow HIM to wipe away my mountain of sins.
It is hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven mainly because wealth blinds. With extreme wealth, family and friends soon look like problems rather than sheep who need feeding. JESUS wants me to see others around me who need HIS kingdom. HE especially wants me to see that I need HIM more than anything.
- Are you chasing wealth?
- Are you blinded by your things?
- Can you seek GOD first before you seek wealth?
- Will you allow GOD to steer you in HIS direction today?