Matthew 19: 16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”
20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
Upgrading to a luxury vehicle felt great! I filled out the company forms and drove off in my company car, praising the company! Important people rode in the car and I kept it neat as a hospital. Never once did I give the poor a ride.
- There were times wealth blinded me.
- There were times I treated GOD as yet another achievement.
- There were times when I like things and GOD was an afterthought.
GOD got HIS “cut” each week when it was easy to write a check, but HE wanted so much more. HE removed me from that position and visited with me.
- GOD said to me “I provide you with shelter to execute MY purpose.”
- GOD said to me “I give you transportation to bring MY people along.”
- GOD said to me “I give you wealth to give to the poor.”
Ten percent is nothing to GOD if HE doesn’t have it all. What I mean is even when it came to giving, I looked at wealth as being “mine.” GOD has a right to give to who HE desires and if my heart is in the right place, HE can use me to provide. Sometimes I may be on the other side and need someone to give to me.
GOD said “If you want to be perfect” to the man, knowing his greedy heart. GOD wants my computer, my phone, my car, my house, my clothes and my coffee maker. HE wants me to trade them in for treasure in heaven.
- Are you holding onto things?
- Has wealth or lack of wealth blinded you?
- Can you give GOD your wealth and possessions little by little until HE has it all?