Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Looking Good

Mark 7: Then the Pharisees and some of the scribes came together to Him, having come from Jerusalem. Now when they saw some of His disciples eat bread with defiled, that is, with unwashed hands, they found fault. For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands in a special way, holding the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other things which they have received and hold, like the washing of cups, pitchers, copper vessels, and couches.

Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, “Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?”

He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:

‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.

And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

============

Preparing for church was a chore this particular day. As I put on my only dress shirt, the frayed elbow finally gave way. Maybe I can hide it by putting on the jacket. No one will notice.

  • Many times I tried to look good in front of people.
  • Many times I tried to keep up appearances in front of people.
  • Many times I tried to show people that everything was fine when everything was really bad.


Performing ritualistic washing had become a major performance amongst the Scribes and the Pharisees. Appearing “clean” to people meant they held themselves to a higher standard so they could impose greater demands to have others “look good.” BUT GOD sees through it.

  • GOD sees my heart and knows it needs cleaning.
  • GOD sees my thoughts and knows they need to be put under HIS guard.
  • GOD sees my desires and many times they do not include HIS desires.


My desire for fashionable good looks crept into my spirit life as well. Hiding lusts for sex, money and power had become the norm. I could afford nice suits and give more money than people made in a year, but where was GOD? HE was buried deep under my “good looks.” GOD desires to break through my good looks so HE can shine today.

  • Are you busy telling people how “good” you look?
  • Do you hide your flaws so others can think you are better than you are?
  • Do you give false pity on those who do confess their sins?
  • Will you open your mouth and tell people your sins so GOD can do a marvelous work in you?


No comments:

Post a Comment