Friday, January 8, 2010

"Love" is definitely an action word!

Matthew 5:43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

=====================

Competition is great for business but terrible for relationships. I am very competitive and driven and sometimes in my quest to win, I lose. Yes, I may win the battle, but lose in the long run by creating enemies. What happens when these jealous enemies retaliate? A mess happens!

As I dig my heels in ready to combat my enemies I see these words and get confused and conflicted. I want to win and I want my enemies to lose, BUT GOD wants my enemies to have grace and mercy.

What should I do? It's too late isn't it? I already made the enemy. GOD says start today and treat them with love. Well what if they started it? Surely I am justified in leaving them my enemy right? NO! GOD wants us to treat them with love too.

I don't like being the one to initiate love especially when the person is clearly in the wrong. Well, at least in my mind they are wrong. Now that I think about it, maybe it could be my actions that cause me to have enemies in the first place.

Yes there are small minded people who hate for no valid reason, but what about those who start off liking me and 'something' happens? I see that GOD wants me to love my enemies, because sometimes I may have wronged them and not realized what I have done.

I don't dwell on why the person doesn't like me, it would drive me crazy. I do understand GOD wants me to do a few things for the person.

  • Forgive - GOD was my enemy and HE forgave me, now HE wants me to do the same.
  • Pray - HE wants me to pray for both parties. Arguments have 2 sides.
  • Let HIM have vengeance - HE wants me to throw my poison to the floor and HE will judge the guilty party. (I hope it wasn't me!)
  • Do something HE would do - JESUS washed the feet and fed the person who would betray HIM. HE served those who hated HIM.

I guess I have to take this in baby steps. It would be hard to wash poop off the foot of my betrayer, but I can start with prayer. I can pray for a close exciting relationship with GOD that bears fruit in their life and mine.

When I think of the evil action, I can talk to my HEAVENLY FATHER and ask HIM for peace. Then I can say "do what YOU will to them and me."

  • Do you have enemies?
  • Did someone do something wrong to you or your family?
  • Can you turn that bitterness into a prayer for the person at least once?
  • Can you eventually get to the point where you want the "best" for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment