Thursday, January 28, 2010

Take Courage! Don't Be Afraid.

Matthew 14:23After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. 25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." 28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." 29"Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" 31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" 32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

================================

As I read the Bible, I see that GOD understands humans thoroughly. I get scared so easily! At one time I thought I was the most courageous person who ever existed. Nothing could stop me!

When small things would go wrong, I would spring into action! Something breaks in the house, I would say, "get my tools, I'm going in!" I would drive anywhere without being nervous. I boldly went to neighborhoods and preached. It was easy to do all these things when the money flowed right and everyone was healthy in my family and my relationships were tight. I call this period my "in the boat" time.

Peter and the other disciples were "in the boat" after witnessing JESUS feed about 20,000 people with a little boy's lunch. They were sent by JESUS and they figured HE would join them maybe in another boat or it would take a while to connect. HE walked on water, scared them and then calmed them down. "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.", HE said.

Now it seems like this should be the end right? The disciples were afraid of a ghost and JESUS said "I'm here." But Peter does something strange. He says "If it's YOU."

I pondered what Peter was asking. For all the disciples knew, it may have been an evil spirit that caused the storm. They still weren't sure it was JESUS. Peter said, in so many words, "I'll take one for the team" by requesting to go out in waves that were about to overtake the boat.

Peter walked on water. He walked on waves and took steps. Wow! This is faith and courage! I have done this as well. Not literally, but I have experienced the "out of the boat" feeling. I have attempted things I wouldn't normally try because of the safe life I was trying to protect.

I have gone around the world telling people about GOD's SON and it felt great walking on those waves. Trust me, I was very nervous to get out there and do that! GOD wants us to know that HE can do anything.

I bet you thought I was going to focus on Peter sinking. Well, he did. Just like you and I, Peter saw what was going on and got scared again. JESUS rescued him and calmed the storm. But Peter still walked on water.

I like the reaction of the disciples. They said to JESUS "Truly YOU are the SON of GOD!" You will never know how your "out of the boat" experience will affect someone.

  • Is your life amazing right now?
  • Are you limiting GOD by showing "in the boat" faith?
  • Can you ask HIM to "identify HIMSELF" to make sure this "new idea" is what HE wants you to do?
  • Can you get "out of the boat" in terms of your serving?

No comments:

Post a Comment