Thursday, January 21, 2010

When will GOD quiet "my" storm?

Matthew 8: 23Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" 26He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. 27The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

=========================================

I have been through many storms in life. I actually mean weather storms! A couple of times I actually saw a tornado funnel form. The sky turns green like split pea soup and then darkness falls. The wind picks up and blows in all directions. Then, the funnel comes down with it's destructive force. During these scary events GOD protected me as I stood and watched and marveled.

GOD has also protected me through life's storms. I have been through the storms of family members getting sick, friends dying, job loss, hatred towards me and the list goes on.

During these storms or trials, I beg GOD to get me "out" as quickly as possible! Who wants to go through a storm? No one! GOD knows just what it takes to get our attention and sometimes we don't recognize that HE is there with us in the middle of the storm.

I often wonder, why does it take a storm for me to notice GOD? I don't know about you, but I get comfortable when things are going well. When the money is flowing just right I buy things I don't need and I forget where I came from.

When I am not in a storm, I pour myself into work and I forget about GOD's people. Well, maybe I don't forget about them totally... I mean, I see them at church and I write my check so that's enough, right? Wrong! During these times of plenty, my mind is focused on how to get "more plenty" and how to keep "plenty."

Then the storm hits. Health issues rise, jobs disappear, someone leaves or dies. What happens to our faith then? Well, I have to admit my faith goes right out the window. When I go through a serious "storm" of life, I cringe in the corner and get scared like the best of them.

I beg, plead, and threaten GOD and do you know what HE does?

GOD sits on the throne and calmly watches over me.

During the storm:

  • GOD is in control at all times.
  • GOD increases our faith, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.
  • GOD knows how much you can handle and it's a lot more than you think.
  • GOD has a purpose that will be revealed to you in HIS time.

The disciples went through this storm and GOD has used this story over and over to comfort those who seek HIM. HE wants us to know HE is in control of the weather AND life's situations.

I read what HE said to the disciples and thought it was a bit harsh. HE said, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" I pondered this and wrestled with it. Why is the GOD of the universe scolding HIS followers for not having enough faith to go through a catastrophe?

Then I had to read this with a different set of eyes. I had to think of the "protecting" GOD versus the "punishing" GOD. JESUS used HIS words carefully and each moment was a precious teaching moment. HIS words weren't scolding because HE never saw his disciples as stupid or hopeless.

JESUS saw HIS disciples as sheep HE loved and that HE had to train them at all times. I am careful to rephrase what HE said, but here goes...

  • "Your faith is small because you are paying attention to the storm"
  • "Why are you focusing on the problem when you should be focusing on the solution, ME?"

JESUS knew all the time there was going to be a storm. HE knew how HIS disciples would react. HE knows the storms that HE brings into my life and HE knows just how I am going o react. I can honestly say that the storms I had as a child are nothing in comparison to those of adulthood. I could easily handle the storm of "not going to the movies with my friends" but it was a storm when I was a child nonetheless.

I can see that storms make me pay attention to GOD. I wish I could pay attention to HIM during peaceful times, but I guess I'm stubborn.

  • When I am in a storm, I pray more.
  • When I am in a storm, I seek GOD.
  • When I am in a storm, I can't rest until HE answers me.
  • When I am in a storm, I become an example who points to GOD whether I like it or not.

When I ask, "Why me?" I get the answer, "Why not you?" I am the perfect person to go through this storm so that GOD will be praised when I come out the other side. When JESUS calms my storm I get amazed and so does everyone else!

  • Are you in the middle of a storm?
  • Are you paying attention to the problem or the solution?
  • Are you helping someone through their storm?
  • Can you hear GOD in the middle of the storm?
  • Are you "blaming" GOD and others or are you "praising and witnessing" during your storm?

No comments:

Post a Comment