Tuesday, January 5, 2010

You are made to "change" others, not have others "change" you!

Matthew 5:13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. 14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

==========================

I went to a party at work once and there were people telling foul jokes after getting drunk out of their minds. I was conflicted because at that time, years ago, I had just returned to serving CHRIST. I didn't know much about the Bible and I avoided church because of the hypocrisy.

There I was not knowing what to do. Join in as I have in the past or stand firm. I chose to stand firm while not judging. "How 'bout a drink?" they would ask. "No thanks", I replied. Then the question would come out. "Why not?" Now, there is nothing wrong with drinking, but I had just made a promise to GOD that "I" would no longer drink.

What was I going to say? Should I tell then I turned over a new leaf for CHRIST? Should I tell them I am a new creation? This is my chance to shine some light into the world! So I muttered "I stopped drinking" and before I went into why someone interrupted us and my words about CHRIST never came out.

I wonder what I would have said then. Now I know. After many encounters similar to this one I would say the "right" thing to the crowd I am speaking to. What's the right thing?

Well, on occasion I blurted out "it's because of CHRIST that I don't drink any longer." Of course my statement was full of pride and judgment so the crowd slowly crept away from me.

Another occasion I tried to be sly and 'slip JESUS in' by saying "I just started going to church" as weird as I felt, a couple of people complimented me and resumed their conversation. Wow, that was anticlimactic. Where were the pats on the back and the angels singing?

"Salt and light" are not "pride and judgment."
"Salt and light" does not expect fan fair.
"Salt and light" does things to celebrate what GOD has done for them. HE did everything for us now we are to be salt and light to celebrate CHRIST. "
"Salt and light" points people to CHRIST and does not focus people on our actions.
"Salt and light" leads people and does not blame them.

  • Are you ashamed to admit you are a Christian to that person or group?
  • Have you hidden your light just to fit in?
  • Are you blaming someone for your situation?
  • Do people around you praise GOD because of your life or are they running away from you?

No comments:

Post a Comment