Friday, May 7, 2010

Carry your "community" with you.

Acts 2:42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

==========================

I grew up in a neighborhood where parents knew each other. It wasn't utopia, but it was a nice way for me to grow up. Everyone in the neighborhood pretty much had the same income. It's funny, most parents in my neighborhood had three kids.

In this neighborhood many of the parents were pulling for the kids to do well, so I had many "parents." They would treat me to ice cream, invite me into their home for dinner and call my parent to let them know what was going on.

There were many gatherings of adults on the "steps" of my house. Adults would collect on the steps and laughter would emerge. I had no idea what they were talk about, but it seemed fun!

I grew up and moved away from the old neighborhood in search of fame and fortune. I found it but something was missing. Community. I missed the discussions and laughter. I missed kids playing in the streets and the smell of charcoal cooking food in the backyard.

I began to complain. This neighborhood isn't a neighborhood. I don't even know my neighbors. Each day I would drive out of my garage and immediately jump on voice mail. I would half heartedly wave at a couple of neighbors but that was the extent of my relationship with them.

On the weekends I was exhausted so I would spend time with my family to recharge my batteries. Where are my neighbors? Why don't they invite me over? Then it hit me. I'm the problem. I hadn't opened my door to my neighbors to see if I had anything in common with them. I guess I feared they were ax murdering planet gobblers.


  • When I open the doors to my home I act like a neighbor.
  • When I open the doors to my home I show friendship first.
  • When I open the doors to my home I provide the example of what community can look like.
  • When I open the doors to my home I have to prepare and that takes work.
  • When I open the doors to my home I feel satisfied that "my community" is being spread.

I have lived in several places in the US and it's the same story each place. People are scared to make the first move because of fear. By opening up the doors to my home I "bring the community with me."

Peter had his most powerful sermon. GOD gave him the right words and everyone’s heart was on fire. They saw people in need and they wouldn't stand for it. The first person gave and others saw the example and followed suit.

They had laughter and discussions, children playing and food was cooking in the yard. They had one thing in common. They believed the LORD saved them from sin and that's all they needed. They praised GOD for being GOD and HE blessed them.

I now take my "community" with me. I speak first even when I receive a grunt back. I help my neighbors without expecting help in return. I pray for my neighbors and truly hope all is well with them. Guess what? I now have the community I was seeking!

  • Do you know your neighbors names?
  • Can you serve them without having a hidden agenda?
  • Do they like games, food, and fun?
  • What two concerns do your neighbors have?

No comments:

Post a Comment