Thursday, May 6, 2010

Be concerned about "everyone."

Acts 1:8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

==================================

When I was younger I said, "Why would anyone go out of the country? We have mountains here, warm weather, tropical islands and skiing. What more could anyone ask for?" That was before I went on my first missions trip!

I remember the challenge. The pastor asked if there were anyone who felt led to go with him to Zimbabwe a country where race relations has deteriorated to deep hatred. I never imagined doing this, yet I found myself raising my hand and soon I was standing next to him.

"Wake up! What am I doing?", I quickly thought to myself. Pictures of people living in mud encrusted villages ran through my mind. I couldn't help thinking about the baby they always showed on TV with the “poked out” belly from starvation and the persistent fly circling its eye.

I told my friends and family that I was going to go. "WHAT?" They said in confusion mixed with rage. "What will you eat?" "Where will you sleep?" "Don't they have diseases over there?" "Don't we have unsaved people here? Why go there?"

These were all great questions I couldn't answer. I only knew that GOD was leading me to do this. After going to the orientation, many meetings and numerous vaccinations, the day of the trip arrived. We flew for 17 hours and arrived in Harare.

I peeked out the window as we were about to land. We flew over a pristine golf course and passed the skyscrapers that looked somewhat like Atlanta. After landing we met with a group of pastors and church leaders. They showed us around and we went to the houses we would stay in.

I thought I would teach people in this trip so I was well prepared. I had my notes and documents and I was ready! Well, I thought I was ready. My mind was ready but my attitude wasn't. In a condescending way, I was going to "teach" these people and go home to my comforts. Wow was I wrong!

During a conference a man made his way to me and said he had walked the equivalent of 20 miles to hear me speak. "You're kidding!" I thought to myself. Then GOD opened my eyes. There were several people like him who had journeyed great distances to hear someone give a message of hope.

I was humbled.

We went to another stop that week where I saw entire families of four and five living in 6' by 6' houses. Row after row, these houses seemed to go on forever, sort of a modern updated form of a village. We went to a makeshift church with a dirt floor and worn wood on cinder blocks as pews.

I saw GOD move on these people and 30 people gave their life to CHRIST. I questioned their genuineness towards their situation until I went back on another trip years later and saw the same people still serving CHRIST.

I was humbled.

We went to another church and a man got up and began singing. People from all over the community came to hear and join in. After the song ended another began. The shouts and roars about GOD was tremendous. Wow, what a great moment!

They sang another song, then another and another. I thought to myself, "This is taking long!" You haven't seen long until you have attended praise at this church. TWO HOURS later, people were shouting and celebrating. They had nothing and were celebrating. Then the man said "any requests for a song!?"

I was humbled.

We finally had a down day as these trips can get busy. We toured the city then went out into the "rural" areas. There we pulled over and I saw a man sitting next to his hut. He invited us to see his hut so we went in. I have never seen anyone so proud. He had his wife and kids there.

They had cows an garden and a lemon tree grew next to the hut. "Look at my lemon tree!" he said through our interpreter. That moment "it" hit me. He was excited over what little he had and I was worried over the junk and trinkets I tried to keep back home. He didn't seem to have any worries. I had all the worries.

I was more than humbled.

GOD says to be HIS witness around the world. HE says go to the ends of the earth and tell people about HIS SON. I pondered this and I found out that HE wants me to see things from a global perspective.

  • When I focus too close I become narrow minded.
  • When I focus too close I can exclude groups of people.
  • When I focus too close I can become arrogant.
  • When I focus too close I can become ignorant.

I heard a comedian say, "Yes we have poor folks here in the US, but our poor folks are fat." In his crude humor he is saying that situations can get bad here in the US, but other countries have it worse.

I learned a lot from this trip.

  • Never assume I will "teach" people rather just be prepared. Teaching is GOD's job.
  • Never think I am living "better." My trinkets may cause a spiritual degradation.
  • Never make worship mundane. GOD wants me to live in the moment with HIM.
  • Always be ready to serve and in the process be open to being served.

GOD has called us all to "go" and I understand the many reasons for not going. I am glad HE sent me. My view of the world has changed.

  • Are you only concerned with a very narrow group of people?
  • Is there any human on the planet who GOD doesn't love?
  • Did HIS SON die for everyone or just your neighborhood?
  • Can you pray for people outside of your community, city, state and country today?

No comments:

Post a Comment