Monday, May 3, 2010

How many "Mommas and Daddies" do you have?

John 19:25Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," 27and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

==================================

I just celebrated the 50th anniversary of my "Momma and Daddy" this past weekend. My parents had their 50th anniversary three years ago, but my "momma and daddy" just had theirs this past weekend. Confusing? It's not.

When I was raised, people truly lived like the African Proverb says, "It takes a village to raise a child." My parents were great. They provided a wonderful home, put food on the table and taught me about CHRIST. What more could I ask for? Well there was more.

As a teenager, I wanted to test the boundaries of what my parents were teaching. I would go over my friends house and see if I could get away with some things over there that I couldn't at my house.

We were loud and crazy over my friends house and then his father came downstairs and quickly shut all the craziness down and got us on track." Wow! Your parents are like mine", I said to my friend.

I was blessed with many "Mommas and Daddies" around my neighborhood. it seemed like all the "Mommas" could cook and all the "Daddies" had wise advice. One of my "Daddies" asked me and my friend where we were going that night. "The night club to have some fun", we responded.

He then proceeded to ask us "Where are you investing your money?" We had no answer. "Give to the LORD and save some", he said. I followed this principle the rest of my life and added my own twist to it. "Give to the LORD, save some and spend some."

JESUS sees the disciple who HE loved and HE sees HIS mother. I don't know where Joseph is and I would assume he is dead. JESUS had "step brothers" who Mary could have lived with, but JESUS says "Here is your mother."

I probably would have said "Here is your 'Momma'." JESUS knows the physical parent relationship is special, but HE also knows a caring relationship is just as special. HE loved HIS mother, Mary and HE loved John and knew they would care for each other.

This example of love would draw many people to CHRIST.

  • A "Momma and Daddy" are examples to me.
  • A "Momma and Daddy" may only say one thing that sticks with me the rest of my life.
  • A "Momma and Daddy" trusts in the LORD and wants the best for me.

My "Mommas and Daddies" would go on to show me things my parents didn't do. Some of them taught me how to bowl and others to play games. All of my "Mommas and Daddies" showed me what was important and that is to keep CHRIST as the number one thing in my life.

  • Can you recall a "Momma" or a "Daddy" in your life?
  • Are you open to their correction and advice?
  • Does your "Momma" and "Daddy" have your best interest in mind?
  • Where are you getting "GODLY SPIRITUAL" advice from?

No comments:

Post a Comment