Monday, August 23, 2010

The smarter I am, the dumber I become.

1 Corinthians 8: 1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God.

==================

 
After graduation from one of the best universities in this country my first job was in deep technology. We programmed the 911 system and it could not be wrong. Imagine making an emergency call and getting a wrong number!

We were the brightest of the bright. And quite frankly I became a technology snob. “You won’t understand” as I rattled off some techno-babble. My next company was worse because they were concerned with “image.” The smarter we appeared, the more we could charge.

 
The problem with me being ultra smart is I wound up ultra dumb when it came to compassion.
  • When I’m too smart for my own good, I try to prove it by winning arguments.
  • When I’m too smart for my own good, I always see opportunities to win while someone else loses.
  • When I’m too smart for my own good, I may win the situation, but lose the opportunity.
  • When I’m too smart for my own good, I can’t listen to suggestions or correction.
  • When I’m too smart for my own good, I leap to give advice instead of just listening and being there.

GOD gave each human special abilities and not one of HIS creations should be looked down on. I need to look at every human as a “person GOD loves” and treat that person with respect.
  • When I build someone up, they feel better about themselves.
  • When I build someone up, they achieve more.
  • When I build someone up, it’s not about me.
I used to be immature and laugh “at” people and what they did because I thought I was more intelligent than them. GOD gets excited when I treat every person as special.
  • Are you trying to prove how intelligent you are?
  • Do you jump to advise someone or do you seek advice?
  • Are you too proud to ask for advice?
  • Are you known by GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment