Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stomp the competition!

1 Corinthians 9:24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

 
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

 
========================
On a cool fall day in a park in the city we gathered for our meet. My heart pounded as the race began and two miles later I found myself behind another runner. “Come on, you can do it” people yelled! Though I felt I had nothing inside of me, I mustered up enough energy to pass the competition.

 
Throughout the years I drew on that experience to beat my competition especially in the workforce. When there was a position, I went after it with tenacity. No one was going to be better than me at work.

 
I trained, studied and practiced for work. When I hit the glass ceiling, I broke through by learning more about becoming a great leader. Golf was the next lesson which taught me about relationships. I conquered work, but did not do the same for my family or friends.
  • Running the wrong race gets results, but the results are only temporary.
  • Receiving a prize for competition is nice, but sometimes leads me away from the true prize.
  • Beating the competition is wonderful, but not everyone is my competition.
The race GOD wants me in is the one where I tell people about HIS SON. The more humble and sincere I can be, the better at it I become. HE wants me to become all things to all people just to “win” them over to HIM. HE wants to keep me from being “disqualified” for HIS prize.
  • Compete against the sin in my life instead of fighting with my wife.
  • Compete against the doubt and fear instead of thinking the end is near.
  • Compete against certain temptations instead of running away from GOD’s revelations.

 
GOD wants me to compete against the spiritual competition that keeps people from believing in HIS SON. HE protects me and guides me by HIS HOLY SPIRIT to ensure I remain qualified for the everlasting crown.
  • Are you competing against friends and relatives?
  • Are you driven at work or searching for work to compete again?
  • Can you compete against the doubt and fear you have in your life?
  • Can you focus on GOD’s everlasting crown just for a little while today?

No comments:

Post a Comment